Saturday, August 28, 2010

State-sponsored LoJack? Sign me up!

The Case: The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves


My argument:  First, raise your hand if you think anyone needs to attach a device to your car in order to track where you are and what you're doing.  OK, now, everyone with your hand in the air, please leave the room because we do not have time to catch you up on reality. Please read  How America Became a Surveillance State while you wait. 


Onward with the actual content of the case story:

Like my fellow commentators, I have nothing to hide and guarantee boredom for any surveillor (is that a word?).  If equipped, I'd be happy to add GPS to my Facebook page for anyone who needs a new way to watch paint dry.  If the government wants to track the movement of my car, great.  I call that state-sponsored LoJack.  Where do I sign up? 

This reads like a story from legal kindergarten.  If the government can tag and track my car, by this argument it seems reasonable that I can put a device on any number of government vehicles, including police cars, and track their movements.  What's their expectation of privacy or security when thier squad car is parked at 7-11 or someone's home and both officers are inside?

My neighbors, children and adults alike, are welcome to cut across or otherwise come onto my property any time.  Anyone reading this is welcome to stop by for a cup of coffee.  If anyone adds electroics to my car without my permission, it damn well better be a stereo upgrade.


My recommendations: 1) take this debate for what it is: one alleged dealer's defense strategy, and 2) move on to privacy topics that are still open for debate and change.

rss: http://js-kit.com/rss/www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2013150,00.html

Case RSS on Time.com

No comments:

Post a Comment